There are all kinds of essay assignments that have different rules and allow for different writing rules to be applied.
There is only one essay that allows for dialogue to be used and that is the narrative essay assignment.
Using dialogue in an essay can be tricky if you don’t understand the rules behind it.
In this article, we are going to give you some important tips on how to write a dialogue in an essay efficiently.
The rules of punctuation when writing dialogue
- When you have any quotations at the end of sentences, you should always have the periods inside the quotes.
- This is a very basic and important rule to keep in mind when you are writing a dialogue essay. Exclamation points should also be inside of the quotes if they are part of what the person has said.
- When there is a quote that is part of a question or an exclamation, you need to put the punctuation after the quotes too.
- The use of commas is also very important and you need to make sure that they are used after the verb before the quotes begin.
- On the other hand, a comma should be placed inside the quote at the end of the sentence if the verb is written after the quote.
- When a quote is broken up and you restart it, you should have a comma after the first part of said sentence and also after the verb.
Why is this important
It might seem that punctuation and quotations are not that important but this is going to allow people to read your document with ease and that is the most important thing to consider.
Always keep these rules in mind and your dialogue is going to be quite good.
Just remember that the best way to ensure that your essay is going to be optimal is to proofread the dialogue sections to see if you have followed those rules properly at all times.
Have someone else read it
Always get opinions on your essays by asking someone else to read what you have written. This is going to allow you to get a fresh perspective that will make things easy for you.
Then you can correct anything that they might find to be wrong or difficult to read and understand.
Read it out loud and see it if makes sense
- This is always useful with any kind of dialogue writing because it will give you a great perspective of how much the writing flows and how good it really is.
- This is the ideal thing to do when you can’t find anyone to proofread the essay and you need to turn it in quickly.
- Never forget that all essay have one thing in common and that is the need to be perfect in terms of grammar and punctuation.
- Any issues with those aspects of the essay will lower your grade significantly, so always take the time to check that and make sure that it’s smooth and easy to read too.
Keep in mind that it can be quite common for written dialogue to have issues that make it hard for people to understand them.
The best way to avoid this is to proofread and always have one or two people check out the essay before you turn it in. This is really helpful and it makes things much easier.
With that said, always try to have fun when writing any kind of essay because this is going to allow you to write in a way that feels more relaxed and easy to handle.